IRL/Advanced Certificate in Rowing Leadership
Has rowing changed your life and now you want to do the same for others?
The Advanced Certificate in Rowing Leadership is an intensive one-year in person coaching education program designed to give IRL fellows the necessary theoretical framework and experiential learning opportunities to achieve the knowledge, skills, and abilities required of a master rowing coach.
The curriculum is a multi-disciplinary approach to coaching education with four major tenets of learning: three academic content streams as well as a practical application of these skills in a real world environment.
- Coaching Methods - Leadership, communication, and the pedagogy of teaching, focused on the teaching / learning interface necessary to be an extraordinary coach.
- Sports Science - A comprehensive review of the science and application of the physiological and neurological components of performance specifically focused on athletic development of rowers.
- Rowing Administration - A detailed education about off-the-water responsibilities critical to be a successful leader.
- Coaching Practicum - A structured internship, which includes mentoring and on-water coaching experiences to implement classroom strategies in real time.
The Advanced Certificate in Rowing Leadership is the ONLY fully accredited program for coaching education in rowing anywhere.
- Only coaching education program for rowing in USA EVER accredited at any level
- Only 25 total accredited coaching education programs in the USA
- Only 5 have received the highest status (Level 5) including the IRL
- Accreditation runs through 2024 - Read the full press release here
Check out a One Page Program Summary and Brief Seven Slide FAQ to learn more and find out about our current IRL fellows, alumni, instructors, and courses by clicking on the links in the grey toolbar above.
Want a deeper sense of the educational underpinnings behind the IRL? Check out pages 36-49 of the Winter 2015 Edition of the United States Olympic Committee's Olympic Coach Magazine for a more in depth look at investing in coach leadership training.
• FOLLOW YOUR PASSION • MAKE COACHING YOUR PROFESSION •
Class of 2019 Application Deadline Details
Priority Application Deadline - January 5, 2018 (Admission decisions will be made by January 19, 2018)
- International applicants are strongly encouraged to apply by the Priority Deadline.
Final Application Deadline - March 26, 2018 (Admission decisions will be made by April 9, 2018)
The first day of Class for the 2018 IRL fellows is Monday, July 9, 2018 with orientation beginning a week prior on Monday July 2, 2018.
If you have questions about the program or application process, please e-mail IRL@communityrowing.org
Find out the latest happenings with the IRL and in coaching education by following @IRLatCRI on Twitter.
The Institute for Rowing Leadership is accredited at the highest level (Level 5) offered by NCACE and is the only accredited US coaching education program in rowing ever.